As divorce lawyers in Austin will tell you, there is nothing to be gained by intentionally trying to make life miserable for the other party.
• Try to remain on speaking terms, and if that is not an option, choose a neutral form of communication, such as texting.
• Consider mediation. This is a lower-cost alternative that helps with communication and preparation of the necessary paperwork. Even if you do require divorce lawyers in Austin, the use of a mediator can be an important step for getting ready for court.
• Write down your budget. Finances are a very big part of every divorce case. Having a clear and honest budget will make things go smoother, and being able to find the financial paperwork you need ahead of time will make things go faster.
• Protect the children. Divorce is stressful for children. Avoid fighting in front of them. Avoid putting down your spouse in front of them. The exception is if you are in an unsafe situation. If you or the children are at risk, contact law enforcement and exit the situation as quickly and safely as possible.
• Protect your mental health. Now is not the time to binge eat or neglect your health, even though you are feeling extremely stressed. Go for walks, drink water, take some time to meditate – do the things that support your mental health so you can better handle the road ahead.
Don’t do this if you want a smooth divorce
When you block divorce proceedings, either willfully or because you simply don’t want to deal with it, you are making a bad situation much, much worse. Divorce lawyers in Austin discourage you from doing the following:
• Being combative. When feelings are hurt, especially if one is feeling betrayed, it is natural to want to become combative. This, however, can spin out of control very quickly and can turn into a situation of power/financial/physical abuse. Your divorce lawyer in Austin is always on the side of the law and cannot tolerate any behavior that puts your or your spouse’s wellbeing at risk.
• Hiding important documents. This is a big issue that can lead to costly delays and a lot of serious problems. Don’t hide or alter documents, such as the deed to the house, car titles, bank statements, employment or business income, etc.
• DIY divorce. You don’t actually save any time or money with a DIY divorce because divorces, even quick ones, are incredibly complicated. Divorce lawyers in Austin know the laws about divorce in this state and what you are – and are not – entitled to. There are also firm rules when it comes to the custody of minor children and the division of estates. It is easy to mistakenly break a law you are unfamiliar with.
Rely on Divorce Lawyers in Austin
Divorce is never pleasant, but with the help of divorce lawyers in Austin, you can get through the process faster, with a more favorable custody arrangement, and with the assets you deserve. Contact Vaught Law Firm, P.C., if you are in the Austin area and are planning a divorce. We specialize in family law and will provide the expertise you need.